Friday, August 27, 2010

Ansel
That's our puppy, as we still call him, photographed a few years ago. I like the shot because it shows him running and having fun. Lately, however, he doesn't do much of that. In fact, about all he does (when not sleeping) is walk slowly; and it is painful for me to watch him climb steps. Seems his  hips aren't working as well as they used to. I write about this all because Ansel is now, in dog years and for the first time, older than me.
We don't know his exact age. He was a stray, and we adopted him from the Humane Society about 13 years ago. That's a long time for a large dog. For all that time he has been a loyal and gentle member of the family. Like our other kids...and grand kids...he has learned to get his way on certain things. Actually, he mainly communicates by staring at me with an expression that seems to say, "I want something. You guess what it is." Oddly enough, I usually do, and it is usually one of his favorite treats.

He has never been cranky, he is always gentle. Our one year old grand daughter pushes him aside if he is in the way, and he follows her all over the house. It's as if he has elected to be responsible for her.

We're lucky to have him, and I just wanted to give him his due.

Paddle safe...
DS

x

3 comments:

SherriKayaks said...

Our pets are as much a part of the family as are kids, parents, or grandkids, and it always hurts to see them when they are sick, injured, or just getting old. Like any other member of the family, we want to make things "all better".

DaveO said...

He looks like a good boy. Our guy Rookie, "The Rook" is also a 'pound special, Heinz 57' and he's 11. Like me getting out of a tent these days, he has trouble getting to his feet and just doesn't like his hot weather walks like he used to. We just have to enjoy the twilight I guess.

Silbs said...

Thanks for the comments. I wonder what Ansel thinks when I try to get up in the morning.