Saturday, December 15, 2007

Reflections

As usually happens around this time of year, I've begun to reflect on the year about to go into the history books and wonder about what the new one will bring. Like the man who jumped off the sky scraper and, as he passed the 15th floor, was heard to say, "So far, so good."

This was the year my youngest daughter married and my older one had her first child...my first grand child. Lady Linda and I had no real health problems, and for that we are grateful. I got many many days on the water, camped for the first time in years (and loved it...thanks, JB, Greg, Jennifer, Doug, Sherri, Bob), continued to improve my forward stroke (thanks, Gary), re certified and upgraded to open water ACA instructor (thanks, Sam), taught many classes and a few symposiums (thanks Nancy) and took many slow and frequently interrupted walks (thanks, Ansel).

As December brought cold and dreary days, I began looking for new and productive ways to fill my days. I recently made contact with a medical education firm, and we are going to see if I can be of value to them. This is totally new territory for me. I finally joined a gym so I would have somewhere open and bright to go to, some place with other people around. Time to whip the aging body back into shape...at least a different shape. I weigh 10 pounds more than I did when I was in college and when I competed in Judo, and I don't like it.

This is our original city hall here in Milwaukee (I actually now live in Glendale, an adjoining city...but I digress). There is a new one across the street, and they had thought about tearing her down. It was decided to give her another chance. Like myself, the building is a part of the landscape, showing her age and in need of some maintenance. Like myself, she is a long term project. Like myself, she has survived another year...and is still of some use.

Paddle safe...

DS

1 comment:

Captn O Dark 30 and Super Boo said...

great pics great post