Thursday, April 10, 2008

Joyce Kilmer Was Right
Most who read my drivel (and I) have a love affair with boats. All boats, and not just kayaks. The lines of a fine hull carving a sine wave through the water is a thing of beauty. Most of us also appreciate the warmth of a wooden hull whether it be a kit boat or one made from plans. More over, among wooden boats, strip built ones have a beauty all their own. While admiring these structures, let's not forget that they are not in their natural state. They have been cut, trimmed and stained in order to reach their heightened state of beauty. Let us not forget, that they were all once trees.So, while avoiding frustrating thoughts of hulls and paddling while winter holds us in its clutches, I took camera in hand and went to the woods across the river for a walk. I chose a day when the clouds dominated the sky making for a softer, more diffuse light source. There, I enjoyed the trees. They are, of course, really in color.I, however, have always seen them in black and white. Perhaps that is from my years under the cloth of a 4 x 5 camera producing fine art prints.In any event, Joyce was right.So, grab a wood paddle and...
Paddle safe...
DS

1 comment:

DaveO said...

Right on. We are in the midst of a timber harvest on our land in Bayfield Co and some of my tree hugger friends look at me as though I'd just revealed I was kinda into pedophilia. The don't associate paddling, furniture, and wiping their backsides with cutting trees down. The forest is looking great and the remaining trees will be healthy and flourish. Wake up folks!